Fire Extinguisher Servicing is required to ensure that they are in good working order and are ready for use. Maintenance also ensures that they are safe for use. Fire extinguishers contain high pressures and can cause injury if they have been poorly maintained.
1. Basic Fire Extinguisher Inspection by the user (Usually Monthly)
- Inspections should include checks that each extinguisher:
- Is located in the designated place;
- Is unobstructed, visible and its operating instructions face outwards;
- Has operating instructions which are clean and legible;
- Is not obviously damaged;
- Has a reading in the operable range or position of any pressure gauge or indicator fitted;
- Has seals and tamper indicators which are not broken or missing.
2. Fire Extinguisher Servicing by a competent person (Usually Annually)
Maintenance should be carried out by a competent person 12 months after installation of a new fire extinguisher, and then annually thereafter.