It is recommended that a survey of fire extinguishers should be carried out to ensure adequate provision.
Firefighting Equipment should be provided in accordance with B.S. 5306-8 (Selection and Installation of portable fire extinguishers – Code of practice) and the following information is given for guidance only:
- One 13 A rated extinguisher should be provided per 200 sq. metres of floor area.
- A minimum of two 13 A rated extinguishers should be provided per storey (one is acceptable if the floor area is under 100 sq. metres)
- Additional extinguishers should be provided to cover specific risks such as electrical appliances, flammable liquids etc.
- A user should have to travel no more than 30 metres to reach an extinguisher.
- Extinguishers should be sited in uniform places in premises, preferably on, or close to, escape routes.
- Extinguishers should not be sited so close to the risk that a fire would prevent their use. (i.e. in electricity cupboards).
- Extinguishers should only be used by people who have received sufficient training.